• May 1, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Looking for a review of bone broth used as a protein supplement instead of traditional powders like whey protein.  Anyone try using bone broth as a protein supplement?  If so, which one and did you like it?

• May 7, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I’ve just started with a product called organika.  I have been making my own until now and I love it.  It’s doing wonders for my skin and I feel great overall.  No negative impact on my weight loss.  I’ll get back to you about organika.  Just bought it so I don’t know the answers yet.  Doesn’t bloat me up like other protein supplements though.

• May 14, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I think that’s a good idea.  I prefer bone broth to traditional protein powders.  It’s actually surprisingly soothing just to sip it from a mug in the same way you would have a tea or a coffee.  It’s a far more natural way to get your protein and it also gives you collagen, which, I’m learning, is important too.

• May 15, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Do you make your own, Envirotodd or do you buy a powder?  I try to get the best powder I can because i don’t want to make my own. I heard you have to keep boiling hte bones for over 24 hours!

• May 21, 2018 at 3:49 pm

mostly I use an organic powder but I’ve started making my own at times.  I use the slow cooker so it’s safer and less energy to make it.  I can get a huge batch out of it (super easy since you don’t even need to peel the onions or garlic. Just a rough chop and throw it in  Don’t forget to add apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp, not enough to taste it).  throw everything in and just let it keep cooking.

• May 28, 2018 at 1:05 pm

that’s interesting Envirotodd.  What does the apple cider vinegar do? Is it meant as an ingredient or does it make it easer for the bones to break down or something?

• May 31, 2018 at 8:10 pm

The apple cider vinegar helps to draw out all the minerals from inside the bones.  It’s actually pretty effective at it, too.  It helps to make sure your bone broth will have as much nutrition in it as possible.

• June 7, 2018 at 2:46 pm

That’s exactly it.  It makes the whole thing a lot better for you.  If you’re going to go to all that effort to cook the bones for all that time, it makes sense that you would want to draw as much out of them as possible on a nutrition level.  You really can’t taste the ACV, so it makes it more than worthwhile.  Just make sure you’re using a good apple cider vinegar.  When it has been on the shelf overnight, you should be able to see little bits of apple pulp at the bottom of the bottle.