• February 2, 2018 at 12:27 am

Out of curiosity, if you just go to a family swim at a community pool and casually paddle around etc, is it beneficial? Is it considered cardio or do you need to do laps?  I know it isn’t as intense when you do the breast stroke compared to the butterfly stroke, but does it still count? Just curious.  I enjoy both but I’d like to know what my options are.

• February 6, 2018 at 11:55 pm

As long as you keep moving it should be beneficial.  If you’re just wading and walking a little bit in the water, it’s better than nothing but I wouldn’t call it cardio.  If you stay active most of the time, sure it’s good.  Might not be the same as a run but maybe the same as a walk 🙂  Look to your respiration as a guide.  Are you slightly out of breath or as calm as though you were sitting reading a book?

• February 13, 2018 at 1:14 am

I think any activity is good for you.  It might not set you up for the olympics, but you will be likely getting the same kind of exercise as if you were walking and moving around.  Walking is great exercise so moving around in water is sure to be good for you, too.

• February 20, 2018 at 12:31 am

I somewhat had that feeling but I wasn’t entirely sure.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I’m just going to go for it!

• February 24, 2018 at 1:51 am

Moving around in any way in a pool is good.  The water provides resistance so it’s not the same as just strolling around on land.  When you’re in the water it helps to challenge the muscles moving around in it.

• March 2, 2018 at 12:55 am

I don’t really have anything new to add but I wanted to say that I agree with everyone who said that it was good to be in the pool and moving around no matter what.  As long as you’re not standing still, you’re getting more exercise than you’d get if you moved around in the air.

• March 7, 2018 at 5:04 am

As long as you’re swimming its good.  If you’re just wading around it doesn’t really do you a lot of benefit when it comes to exercising.  It’s better than doing absolutely nothign, but it really shouldn’t count as your exercise.  If you’re paddling around enough to feel like your heart rate is picking up, you’re good.