• March 12, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Is it more exercise to swim in the ocean or a lake that has waves or movement than it is if you swim in a pool where the water is essentially still?  I would think it is, but I’m curious if anyone knows for sure.

• March 19, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Oh definitely the ocean.  A wave pool or the ocean is more exercise swimming than it is in the pool.  That is, assuming that you are swimming the same way.  If you’re just wading around in the ocean, it’s one thing.  If you are doing the same stroke for the same amount of itme, sure you’ll get a better workout in the ocean.  I’ts harder.

• March 22, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Definitely an ocean or lake.  The pool makes it easier to exercise for longer and to do different kinds of swimming though.  Lakes and oceans give you more of an HIIT experience in a natural way though.  They both have strengths.

• March 29, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Thanks! I actually just found out that there’s a wave pool at a gym near me.  Complete coincidence since that’s not why I was asking the question. I’m going to check that out and see what that’s like. Otherwise, I guess I’ll just have to be fine in the regular pool until the weather warms!

• April 3, 2018 at 12:35 pm

There’s a wave pool at your gym?  That’s incredible!  I bet that gym comes with a hefty membership fee!  Have fun testing it out.  I’m just glad the weather is getting better so it won’t be long before outdoor pools are available too.