• July 19, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I’m wondering how long it takes to get started with very basic, not very deep scuba diving.  I don’t want to do anything crazy.  Just “beginner” level stuff.  I want to check out some stuff I can’t do if I’m snorkeling. Is getting a certification something that takes a lot of lessons and a lot of time?  If I try to do some sort of fast tracking – if that exists – does it put me at risk of danger?

• July 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm

That’s a really cool question.  There are a lot of different places where you can get your certification.  I think you need a certain number of hours.  You get to train but then you need to put in the time if you want to do certain things. I’m also pretty sure that there are different levels of certification.  The lightest level will of course take the least amount of time.  For what it sounds like you want to do, you don’t need to learn how to do some sort of crazy deep-sea diving or anything.  I’d start checking out local websites and call around.  I be you’ll have your answer in no time.

• July 31, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I just looked up your answer.  Apparently there are intensive weekend courses that can get you your scuba license (which you do need) but most divers seem to think that’s not the best way to go.  A course takes a few weeks but everybody seems to be raving about how it really is worth it.  you learn more and the skills become more second nature for you.