• January 5, 2018 at 12:57 am

What burns more calories, walking on snow or walking on sand?  I’m just curious

• January 12, 2018 at 1:03 am

In my opinion, it’s walking on snow because your body is also fighting to stay warm.  It does depend on the snow.  The really shifty stuff is a real battle.  Ice is also extremely difficult.  On the other hand, just a dusting of snow doesn’t do very much.  It also depends on sand.  The packed down and wet, you go right across the top.  If it’s hot and dry, it slides out from under you.

• January 19, 2018 at 12:25 am

My guess would be snow, too.  Walking on sand is a bit challenging but it’s not actually hard.  Walking on snow is really hard! Especially when there’s ice underneath.  You have to take tiny steps and keep your body stiff like a penguin.  Your whole body is working.  Going a short distance is exhausting!

• January 24, 2018 at 12:58 am

if there isn’t any ice, I would guess that they are about the same.  If there is ice, then you would probably burn more with sand because you don’t have to keep slowing down.  It may be more difficult with ice, but you barely move.  You’re not swinging your arms and legs, you’re staying more still like a penguin.

• January 30, 2018 at 12:45 am

I walked on snow just today and it was really easy. It felt like walking on a sidewalk.  Last week, I walked on snow and it felt like one of the biggest cardio workouts of my life.  It”s hard to say what the answer is without saying specific conditions.  Also depends on your footwear.  What you have on your feet can make all the difference in it being easy or not.