Finding a better veggie burger can be a daunting goal. It all depends on what you want from the dish. Are you looking for a different type of patty with interesting textures and flavors? Or are you looking to have beef replicated in every possible way? This difference is a big one. After all, if you’re just looking for something new and tasty to put on a bun, then your options fly wide open. However, if you’re looking to replicate the meat experience, you still have choices. The one you like most is up to you.
The Hunt for a Better Veggie Burger
Looking for a better veggie burger can involve many different possible goals. You may be vegetarian but really do miss the taste of burgers on the grill. You could also be looking to add more healthy eating basics to your diet, including trends like Meatless Mondays. Perhaps you’re trying to make eco-friendly selections.
Whichever reason you have for seeking a better veggie burger, you’re in luck because fresh and frozen sections at the grocery store are filling with a larger number of products that suit this goal.
Making a Tasty and Calorie-Friendly Choice
If you’re looking for a better veggie burger in terms of flavor and calorie content, consider the following products that are easy to find in most grocery chains.
- Boca Original Vegan (70 calories) – This healthy dinner option is vegan and contains a huge 13 grams or protein. At the same time, it’s super light on the calorie side. This one is great on its own or can be dressed up with all the favorite condiments and toppings. Load it up with tomato, lettuce, onion, pickle, ketchup, mustard, relish and everything else you love.
- Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burger (120 calories) – This plant based burger option is another fun one for bbq days, but its southwest kick and subtle heat also make it a great option to crumble into Tex-Mex dishes or as a base for burritos.
- Trader Joe’s Masala Burger (140 calories) – This burger isn’t quite as high in protein as some of the others among the better veggie burger options. However, it is exceptionally delicious with a hint of curry and packed with veggies and potatoes. If you love Indian food, you’ll find yourself buying these ones on a regular occasion.
- Morningstar Farms Chik’n Patties (140 calories) – These patties can very easily pass for real chicken. They’re complemented well by BBQ sauce. If you love sweet potato fries and grilled or baked zucchini, these are ideal sides for this option.
Here’s How to Jazz Up Your Meal for a Better Veggie Burger
Use these veggie burger recipes to make your patties according to the package directions and then take them in an entirely new direction.
- Breakfast for Dinner Style – Choose your favorite patty and prepare it according to the package directions. Add it to an English muffin and top it with one fried egg, a thin slice of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and ketchup.
- BBQ Chicken Style – Here’s where one of those Morningstar Farms Chik’n patties really shine. Prepare according to the package and serve it on a small, toasted bun. Add bbq sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with sweet potato fries and grilled veggies like zucchini.
- Southwest Salad Style – Prepare your favorite patty according to the package directions. Here’s where you turn a better veggie burger into something else entirely. The Morningstar Farms Black Bean burger is a great option here. Chop it coarsely to replicate ground beef, then mix it with your favorite type of shredded lettuce. Top with ¼ cup diced avocado, sautéed peppers, mushrooms, onion, and your favorite salsa.