• October 10, 2019 at 1:26 pm

OK, so research shows diets don’t work, according to so many headlines i’ve been reading.  But if you go to the doctor to lose weight, the first thing they say is that you have to diet.  Also, research shows that what you eat plays the largest role in how much weight you’ll lose.  So what do we do?  What’s the best way to change your eating when you’re not good at dieting?

• October 15, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Diets work.  It’s a matter of finding the right strategy for you.  You need to think long term and find what fits with your lifestyle.  You do need to change the way you eat, but you need to find the gradual style that will suit your life over the long term.

• October 21, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Fad diets don’t work but lifestyle ones do if you are dedicated to changing in a healthy way for long term. Nothing too extreme will ever work, but reasonable and healthy will.

• October 24, 2019 at 11:58 am

This is going to be harder than I thought. I feel like there is no real guidance out there that we can use. It’s just up to us to keep failing until we don’t anymore.

• October 31, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I know it can feel like that @Helen1, but don’t lose hope. You’ll find the right one.  If you’ve been trying for a while without success, talk to a doctor.  If you don’t want to do that, stop trying to find one big solution and just start making gradual changes.  This week, focus on changing how you design your meal plates.  Fill them half with veggies, a quarter with whole grains and a quarter with healthy proteins.  Keep that up until it feels natural.  Then, make a new change.  Maybe focus on better proteins.  Have more meatless days and discover more plant-based proteins.  Go from there.  That way, you won’t always feel like you’re trying and failing things.  You’ll be trying and succeeding, over and over.