• January 10, 2017 at 12:40 am

I have a FitBit that I’ve had for just over a year and I find that it tracks perfectly great all the time except if I try walking very fast or running in the winter on slush and in snow.  For some reason, instead of counting my steps properly, it keeps telling me that I’ve been climbing flights of stairs.  Today, it’s said that I climbed 80 flights of stairs.  I don’t even have stairs in my home.  It’s only one floor.  It’s messing up my calorie burn and steps.  I was wondering if there’s something better for me out there.

• January 13, 2017 at 4:03 am

I heard about that happening when there are a lot of dramatic changes in barometric pressure.  So if the weather has been all over the place where you live that could be causing the problem.  Try emailing hteir customer support.  THey’re really nice and will look at your data and might tweak your algorithm to fix it.  They might be able to put things right from now on.  THey won’t be able to repair the data that you already collected, but at least you can fix what you’ll be doing from no on.

That or you should start climbing a lot of stairs so your tracking data starts to make sense haha 😉

• January 20, 2017 at 3:02 am

omg really, anne?  Changes in weather can make your fitbit think you’re climbing stairs?  So does that mean if you live in a place where the weather is really freaky your device won’t work right?  That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• January 25, 2017 at 4:33 am

I don’t really think the weather where I live is much different from where many other people live in the US.  I don’t think that i live in a place with especially extreme weather.  I definitely live in a place with four seasons, but it’s not like the difference between the Sahara and the Antarctic.  I think something must be wrong with it.  I do feel better to find out that I’m not the only person to have quirky results with stairs, though.

• February 4, 2017 at 2:24 am

I think your fitbit is broken.  I just got one and it doesn’t do that at all.  You should write to them again and see if you ahve some way to prove that it’s just not working.  They’re really great there.  The customer service is solid.  They might send you a new one or tell you where you can have it fixed for cheap or give you a coupon for a new one that is even better or something like that.  Go for it.