• September 13, 2018 at 1:41 pm

I know a workout is important to physical health but I’m using it to beat my stress, too.  Is there a certain kind of workout that is better for stress than another?  For example, is cardio better than strength training? Or is it yoga that is best? Is there something that will be most effective so I can concentrate on that during my hardest days?

• September 20, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I think mixing them all is good.  You might go with what you feel like at the time.  Do you feel like really getting your heart rate up and sweating?  Do you want to really push yourself through the maximum number of reps? Or are you feeling like you need to calm down? Go with what you feel like.  You might even find you can do more than one workout in a day, like cardio in the morning and yoga in the evening.

• September 25, 2018 at 12:41 pm

I agree that a mix is a good idea.  Don’t let things get too routine or boring or it won’t help you like it used to.  It needs to help you to stay energized and fresh.  This will keep your mental health and motivation at their best.  Try lots of things.

• October 1, 2018 at 1:07 pm

I’d say do something intense but that you really like.  Make sure it’s something you can really focus on with counting or pushing yourself as hard as you can.  Don’t do something that lets your mind wander. Also, doing it regularly, not just sporadically, makes it a lot more effective.

• October 8, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Thanks. I know I was pretty much hoping you’d say I do’nt need to do strength training, but you’re right.  I’ll try to fit it in twice per week.  I really appreciate the advice

• October 11, 2018 at 8:30 pm

I hope it works for you, Anne.  It’s not easy dealing with stress.  I hope your workouts cut right through it and help you to feel a lot better than you do now.  It’s so hard when you feel held back by stress.  It would be good if there was an off button for it, at least to let us sleep