• December 20, 2021 at 3:12 pm

I’m planning to walk a lot this winter for my exercise. I don’t want to slip and fall and hurt myself. So many boots look great but are slippery, especially women’s boots! Any recommendations for great ones on ice? I don’t mind if they’re not cute.

• January 4, 2022 at 3:17 pm

I found pajar ones were very good but also extremely expensive and hard to find. mine had to be ordered online because I couldn’t find them in any stores. Their sizes are true though, so it’s not hard to choose the right fit.

• January 10, 2022 at 3:19 pm

Columbia ones are pretty good – not great but ok, but get the ones that are really rated for performance. Don’t go for the cute ones.

• January 17, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Thanks! I’ll look into Pajar. I’ve read about Columbia but they seem to have mixed reviews other than they’re really comfortable.  I’ve seen a few brands like Sorel have flip out or flip down spikes for ice. Has anyone tried them? Is it a gimmick or are they good?

• January 20, 2022 at 3:14 pm

I hope you find great ones, whatever you choose. I wouldn’t go with the flip-out spikes. They’d be great at first, but from experience, anything with moving parts won’t work long once salt and sand get in there.  If you want extra spikes, grab those coils you can slip over your boots and then take off when you don’t need them. Way better.

• January 27, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Look for ones that are designed like winter hiking boots.  They’re meant for people who are being active outdoors. You’ll likely have a better shot at finding a good tread that way. Pay close attention to the temperature rating for the boot.  It’s not just about keeping your foot warm. It’s like tires.  It’s the rating for the performance.

• February 3, 2022 at 2:41 pm

just get crampons or those yaktrack things for your boots. Then you can get whatever ones you want and just add the spikes orcoils.

• February 14, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone! I did end up getting some really great boots and on sale too because it’s not early in the season anymore. I also got crampons for when it’s really awful out…but oh boy don’t step down onto the pavement with them! Only use them where there is snow and ice or they get really slippery!