• November 8, 2018 at 2:07 pm

I’m trying to cut back on sugar.  Is it bad if I put raisins in my oatmeal in the morning?

• November 15, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Raisins are definitely high in sugar.  Still, they’re not going to derail all your efforts.  This is especially true if you’re getting natural grapes and not sweetened ones for your raisins.  If you don’t eat a huge nubmer of them and just sprinkle some on your breakfast, it shouldn’t make much of a difference.  The place you’ll really want to pay attention is added sugar.

• November 19, 2018 at 1:23 pm

You can put raisins on yoru cereal.  They contain sugar, but as long as it’s not sugary cereal, you should be fine.  Also don’t put too many.

• November 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Thanks! I’m eating my breakfast right now and I’ve added 10 raisins. I guess that should be fine.  Thanks again!

• December 3, 2018 at 12:59 pm

It’s really just added sugars that are the problem, right? I mean, you shouldn’t eat a whole bowl of fruit from your table centerpiece, but it’s not really whether you put banana on your cereal or raisins, but you just need to avoid adding white or brown sugar or a ton of honey or maple syrup, right?

• December 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

I agree, it’s not all sugars.  It’s added sugars you need to eliminate.  With natural sugars like fruit, it’s more a matter of just making sure you’re reasonalbe about it.  No more than 3 pieces of fruit for a day.

• December 13, 2018 at 11:25 am

Ideally, try to find unsweetened raisins.  They’re rare but they’re out there.  Look for ones that are just dried grapes, not ones that have any kind of sweetener like sugar.  That’ll help you enjoy your breakfast without any added sugars at all.