• July 27, 2016 at 2:04 am

When the weather is hot and humid like it has been around me lately, I can’t breathe right when I try to exercise. I think it’s exercise induced asthma  I don’t want to give up on exercising.  All I can do is just things like pilates and strength training in air conditioning.  I can’t do any cardio.  What should I do? I can’t just skip all cardio exercises until the summer’s done

• August 1, 2016 at 11:25 pm

the first thing you should do is talk to your doctor and find out if it really is exercise induced asthma.  It could be that or it could be something else.  When it comes to your breathing, you don’t want to mess around.  It’s likely nothing to worry about but it’s really better to know exactly what it is so you can make the right choices.  your doctor will likely be able to recommend the right exercises in heat and humidity.  After all, it might not even be the heat and humidity.  Maybe it’s the pollution and bad air quality on those very hot and muggy days.  Knowing is far better than not knowing.

• August 10, 2016 at 1:46 am

I agree, if you think you have some form of asthma, you should be talking to your doctor.  That shouldn’t be taken lightly.

That said, it could also be that you react poorly to low air quality and high humidity in the heat.  That might be all it is.  Even the top athletes struggle with heat, humidity and poor air quality.  So you might just be normal for having the reaction you’re having…still, talk to your doc.

• August 16, 2016 at 1:04 am

How’ve you been doing, Helen1? Any better?  Is the weather cooling off at all and are you finding it easier to breathe? Did you get the chance to talk to a doctor?

• August 22, 2016 at 11:54 pm

I do think the dotor is a good Idea but don’t be too scared. I had the same problem when the summer was really hot and it turns out it was just me pushing myself too hard in the heat, humidity and pollution.  You need to build up to that slowly.  Pushing yoruself too hard is actually dangerous.  I found that out after reading a really good article somewhere.  If I find it again I’ll be sure to post it here.  I don’t know where it was though.