• October 28, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I’ve been going to a farmer’s market for the last couple of weeks and I plan to go until the winter.  I’ve seen so many kinds of squash. I thought there was only butternut and acorn.  There are tons!  Are they all pretty much cooked the same way?  If I get lots of different kinds, are they essentially the same other than color, or are they actually very different, and I need to know things about them?

• November 4, 2019 at 3:39 pm

They’re not all the same.  It’s really best to ask the farmer selling it for directions because even subtle differences can mean that if you tweak the way you prepare them it will be better.  Like a carnival squash seems just like an acorn squash, but it’s sweeter, so you can tweak your recipe with that in mind so you’re not over-sweetening your dish.  Butternut is really mild, but a mashed potato squash is even milder – like mashed potatoes – so you can doctor them up a bit to give a savory flavor blast.

• November 7, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Not all the same.  Butternut is pretty much the only one I like that I’ve tried. The other ones have a strong flavor that I don’t like so much.  I like the really mild ones.  I wonder if I would like that mashed potato one, but it’s not at my supermarket.

• November 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm

If you just ask the person what type it is (and then remember the answer – that’s the hard part haha) then you can just google recipes when you get home.  Every kind of squash can be made into hundreds of different recipes. I say get as much as you can at the farmers market while you’re still going.  Squash keep for a long time, too, so you dont’ have to eat them all right away.

• November 19, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Exactly, @kittykatt

With the farmers themselves as a resource and googling to support what they say, you’ll be able to learn a ton.