• June 3, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Just wanted to put this out there. I’ve been shopping for good athletic shoes. I need ones with stability at the moment.  I spent a good part of the weekend shopping around, and I’ve learned that there is a huge difference between what sales reps will say and what the truth actually is.  For instance, I went into one store and said that I had orthotics (essentially prescription insoles) and needed a good stability shoe for walking and running that had removable insoles so my orthotics would fit.  The first suggestion I was given? Skechers. I’m not trying to say anything bad about Skechers. They’re good looking and are fine for casual wear. If you’re just hanging around or want that look for doing something not intensely athletic, they’re fine. But when you need added support and a serious shoe, they’re just not the option. It’s just not what they’re designed for.  I had similar problems in a few stores. The sales people didn’t know what I meant by “stability” shoe.  They thought I was referring to something comfortable with support.  That’s not the same thing. I highly recommend doing your research into top models of shoes sold in the stores where you’ll be shopping so you can have a list of potentials to try on once you get there.  Don’t rely on reps to help you.  They may speak with authority in their tone, but it doesn’t mean that they necessarily know anything.  Some know a ton, but based on this last weekend, those gems are in the minority.

• June 6, 2019 at 12:04 pm

I understand your struggle. I’ve had casual/fashion shoes recommended to me for athletic purposes, too.  Just because they look like running shoes, it doesn’t mean they have the right features.  It would be great if stores would just allow their sales people to say that they don’t know the answer, instead of making something up.  It makes me less likely to shop in a store or trust what their staff recommends. They’re workign against themselves, making a few sales but preventing many more.

• June 13, 2019 at 11:40 am

I find that so frustrating!  I don’t have a problem with the existence of casual running shoes.  The ones meant for fashion, not actual running. They’re like comfortable everyday shoes but shouldn’t be sold in the same way as athletic shoes. It’s just not what they’re for!

• June 18, 2019 at 11:26 am

Sometimes it’s worth it to spend a few dollars more just to shop at a store where the employees know what they’re talking about.  In that case, yes, you may spend five or ten more, but at least you get the right thing. It’s better than spending less but getting less, too.

• June 24, 2019 at 11:46 am

It’s not just about how much you spend.  I’ve been to some great stores with a huge mark-up, and I showed up knowing more about some of the shoe models. It’s not easy to keep up with every option in a huge stock that keeps changing.  But if you’re not comfortable with what a sales rep has told you, head to another store until you find someone who knows what they’re doing .