• February 18, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I don’t understand how much extra I can eat from having exercised in a day. I still want to lose weight but if I’m already cutting 500 per day, can I use my workout calorie burning to be able to eat more calories per day and still be down by 500 calories?

So say I walk fast for a half hour.  How many more calories can I actually eat? I don’t trust what my fitness tracker says. That seems pretty generous.

• February 25, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Of course you can.  Just make sure that you’re tracking your exercise accurately. Most gym equipment and many devices overestimate the calories you’re burning during exercise.  No idea why that is.  Either way, if you do want to use workout calorie burning to buy yourself more snacks during the day, just make sure you’re erring on the side of fewer calories burned.  I tend to estimate that if my tracker says I’ve burned 150 calories, I’ll grant myself an additional 100 calorie snack.

• February 28, 2019 at 1:26 pm

I don’t trust what fitness trackers show, either.  I don’t know if they think they’re accurate or if they deliberately show a higher calorie burn than reality because they want to motivate but it makes it hard to do things correctly without the right figures on our sides.

• March 7, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Thanks. I had a feeling it would be that hard and not just straightforward that shows exactly how much I burn and exactly how much I can eat.  Thanks for the info and advice.  This does make it easier for me to try to figure it out.