• February 4, 2019 at 1:46 pm

I don’t have diabetes.  Is it safe for me to use something like keto or fasting or things like that, that play with your blood sugar levels? Am I just being dramatic by being nervous?

• February 11, 2019 at 1:21 pm

It might be safe for you.  Diabetes isn’t the only consideration.  Do you have other health conditions? If you don’t know or if you definitely have other health conditions, it’s always smart to talk to a doctor before you get going with a diet as drastically different from your usual one as those ones are.  Keto, for example, changes the way your body burns fuel.  It alters its processes.  To know if that’s safe for you, it’s really a good idea to talk to an expert. It’s annoying, but it’s best.

• February 14, 2019 at 1:34 pm

If you’re not sure, ask a health professional.  I don’t think the keto diet was developed for people with diabetes. I think it was created for kids with epilepsy.  If you do it right it can keep your blood sugar really steady but just make sure it’s safe for you specifically to play with your blood sugar.

• February 21, 2019 at 5:01 pm

I don’t think anyone really knows.  There hasn’t been a lot of research done on keto dieting and the stuff that has been done was focused on epilepsy in kids. Basically, if you do that diet right now, it may be safe or it may not, but doctors don’t even know. You’ll technically be one of the guinea pigs.  So if you really want to, it’s smart to talk to a doctor to make sure you don’t have anything that will definitely cause problems with your health.  But aside from that, you’re doing it at your own risk.

• February 26, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Have you made your decision? Did you talk to a doctor? I’m interested to know if you got some professional advice and what it was because the answer interests me.

• March 4, 2019 at 1:36 pm

I’m curious, too. I hope you update us, @anne

• March 11, 2019 at 12:08 pm

This weekend I saw an article that says animal studies they’ve been doing on keto have shown to be problematic sometimes. Veterinarians don’t trust it yet, so doctors for humans probably shouldn’t.