• August 31, 2021 at 2:03 pm

If I want to get more cardio out of a bike ride but I don’t want to go faster, is it just a matter of changing gears or is that dangerous? Trying to figure out if I can get the kind of workout I’d get from an indoor spin class, but outside on trails and roads. I don’t want to go as fast as I can though.

• September 9, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Sure, you can change gears.  Just make sure that you’re not pedaling so fast or so slow that you don’t have control over the bike. Keep it in a gear that challenges you but that won’t make you tip over or less able to steer. It shouldn’t be distracting.  Instead, you could always just go somewhere with more hills. That will challenge you more than a flat road.

• September 14, 2021 at 2:22 pm

I think hills are your best option, or off-roading. If you’re on a trail that is right for your experience level and it has hills, you should get a good workout without having to force yourself to go faster.

• September 20, 2021 at 2:37 pm

Thanks! I haven’t felt confident enough to head back to tougher trails after a bad fall last year.  You’re right that it’s likely my best option for reaching my goal. I should start giving that a try.