• April 8, 2016 at 12:47 am

I really need advice, guys.  I have had insomnia for five days and I’ve been trying to keep up exercise, but with only around an hour or two of sleep every night it’s getting to the point that I just can’t do it.  Even if I can drag myself to start I know I’m not putting anything into it.  Should I just give up? Do I just keep doing the lame workouts I’ve been doing? WHat do I do?

• April 15, 2016 at 12:04 am

I hope you’re not suffering from insomnia anymore.  That makes everythign feel impossible.  Just try to do things that are manageable to you.  You might even find they will help you to sleep better.  Most of the struggle is in getting started, not in actually doing them.  Go out and have a brisk walk.  Even if you go for only 15 minutes, it’s better than nothing.  Go swimming if you can.  Steer clear of things that could put you in danger like cycling on the road.  When you’ve gone without sleep for that long yoru judgment is off and you could put yourself in danger in traffic or on trails.  Instead, stick to simple things that are easy to do and just do as much of them as you can until you’re back on track with your sleep again.

• April 22, 2016 at 1:57 am

I don’t think you should give up.  Try to adjust your workouts in time or challenge level so that you can still do them, even if they’re not your top performance.  Giving up on workouts will only hurt your sleep more.

You might find that interval training works better for you when you’re not feeling like you’re at your top energy level.  That’s where you do bursts of high intensity workouts with lower intensity workouts on either side of it.  For example, walk for two minutes, then run as fast as you can for one minute, then walk for another two minutes, and so on.

• April 27, 2016 at 1:10 am

Haven’t seen you in a while here Anne.  Are you feeling any better?  Did you find a way around your insomnia and did you get to workouts again?

I have since read that melatonin can help with that sort of thing but you should probably ask your doctor first.

I hope to hear that you’re good!