• August 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm

I get that if you do your 10k steps per day and you never really moved around more than a shuffle, it’s not really what they mean by being active.  But what if you do that a ton? Like if you’re pretty much on your feet all day, walking slowly around?  Does it count as exercise out of sheer quantity even if you didn’t really get your heart pumping really fast?

• September 2, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I think it’s somewhat a balance between the two.  It’s good that you’re not sitting all day if you’re on your feet, but the whole point to actual exercise is to use your heart, lungs and muscles.  So if you’re sitting all day, get up and stretch every half hour to an hour.  Walk around a short bit, then you can sit again.  Then really enjoy your exercise later on.  If you’re on your feet all day, try to give yourself a bare minimum of 15 minutes of movement that raises your heart rate.  It’s better if you go for a half hour, but even 15 minutes counts.

• September 5, 2019 at 11:56 am

I was going to have a different answer but when I read what Penny4thoughts said, I have to agree with that. Doing tons is probably better than doing little but you still need to get your heart rate up.

• September 12, 2019 at 11:49 am

Thanks! I was hoping it would be more stragihtforward than that. I guess what you say makes sense.  Everything seems to be a balance with exercise and diet.