• May 2, 2019 at 11:43 am

I was really on track with eating right and fitness then I got a flu or  some other kind of bug. All my eating had to change so I could recover. I didn’t exercise.  Now that I’m getting healthy again, do I just jump back into things once more? Do I try to do exactly what I was doing? Will I gain some of the weight back that I lost from being so sick?  How do I know if I’m making positive progress if I have to gain weight first?

• May 7, 2019 at 12:10 pm

You’ll regain the weight you lost from being sick.  Likely most of it was water weight anyway because you get really dehydrated when you’re sick.  Jump into things as much as you feel you can handle them, but when you’re not sure, just ease into them.  No reason to go full-tilt.  One extra day of taking it easier on yourself isn’t much in the grand scheme of things.  Just consider the time you were sick as time lost and start fresh, paying close attention to your body signals once you’re ready.  Glad you’re feeling better.

• May 13, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Just ease yourself back into things.  Your weight will likely fluctuate over the next week to two (down, up, etc).  But just start eating and exercising normally as you can.

• May 20, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Thank you Anne and Brightstar. I feel a lot better now and am pretty much back where I was before. I thought that several days off my strategy and then recovery time to rebuild after would set me back farther but when all is said and done I’m only about a pound behind where I wanted to be and I’m exercising right back where I meant to be.

• May 23, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Great to hear it!  It always seems far worse at the time than it actually is.  The setback stinks, but it’s not too long before you’re right back on it again.