• March 10, 2017 at 2:58 am

I’ve been keeping up a fitness routine over the winter but if I want to get back into running for the first time since the middle of December, does anyone have tips?  I mean I know that I shouldn’t try to achieve what I did when I was running all the time, but how far back to I need to set myself?

• March 16, 2017 at 1:37 am

I’d say start walking – fast.  Walk very briskly for at least a half hour and do it five times a week.  Also do some strength training and yoga.  YOu need to bring yourself to the point that you’re walking 30 minutes at a very fast speed without feeling tired.  At that point, you’ll be ready to start combining walking and running when the weather is good enough.  As you do that, the running part will get easier over time, so run more and walk less.  Eventually, you’ll be back to running again.

• March 21, 2017 at 12:21 am

ya you can get back into it just be gradual about it.  Don’t push yourself too hard but don’t be afraid to get into it.

• March 27, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Thank you.  I’ve been speed walking as fast as I can go for the last couple of weeks while I try to figure out what I want my strategy to be. I think you’re right about what I should do.  I’m going to start off slow and just do intervals between running and walking.  I’ll see how comfortable I am as I build so I can get an idea of what’s safe.  It’s really hard not to push harder than I should to run faster right off the bat.  All I want to do is get to where I was last year.

• March 30, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Good luck!  I hope you’ll do great. Let us know if you do good with that technique.

• April 7, 2017 at 1:03 am

Thanks.  It’s been going good so far.  A little slower than I thought it was going to be – holy god I’m out of shape! – but at least I’m doing it.  I had a bit of a setback over the last few days because it has been pouring down freezing rain where I live, but I’m still trying to stay active on those days so I don’t lose my progress.  Thanks again! 🙂

• April 11, 2017 at 12:18 am

It’s good that you’re actually doing it and progressing though.  Keep going and don’t give up.  The freezing rain must be done by now.  That must make it a lot easier for you.