• April 8, 2019 at 12:00 pm

I’m running but my main surface is sidewalk.  What should I know so I don’t hurt myself? I like running around my neighborhood, but I’m not comfortable with being on the asphalt of the road and it’s boring to be on a track. Am I doomed to get hurt by being on the sidewalk?

• April 15, 2019 at 12:20 pm

I think if you’re going to run on a surface like that, it’s just a matter of choosing the right shoes and knowing what you’re doing.  Make sure you’re running with the right kind of stride (you may not be doing that. You’d be surprised).  Keep your feet in shoes with very good cushioning, good stability and that stay fresh.  If your shoes start getting old, it’s time for new one.  Once you’re not getting the same cushioning anymore, your joints are forced to make up for what your shoes aren’t doing.

• April 18, 2019 at 12:03 pm

I think envirotodd’s got it.  PRetty much you have to go for it unless you can run in a field or on a track, make sure you’ve got the right shoes and socks. your socks are as important as your shoes.  And make sure you run right.

• April 25, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Envirotodd and Kittykatt.  I guess I’d better start this year with better footwear instead of using last year’s until it’s done.  I don’t wnat to be one of those runners who ends up with ruined joints.