• July 1, 2019 at 12:11 pm

What are the best things to have as a hiker to refuel on the go? I don’t want to use things like the gel packs marathoners use.  I also don’t want anything with chocolate because that just gets messy when it’s hot out.  What do you think?

• July 8, 2019 at 5:40 pm

Those gel packs are for more extreme electrolyte and energy needs and are very wasteful. I can see why you don’t want chocolate and I’m glad you said that because my first suggestion would have been chocolate cocoa protein balls.  What about trail mix with nuts and seeds?

• July 11, 2019 at 11:50 am

I make homemade granola bars.  That way, I can choose my own ingredients and skip the chocolate if I want.  It’s basically the same thing as Penny4Thoughts idea only pressed into a bar instead of loose.

• July 18, 2019 at 11:39 am

Have you seen those little manuka honey packets they have that you just fold in half and they snap and you squish the honey out? They give you instant blood sugar and energy with a lot of other healthy components.  I love them when I travel. I think they’re from Wedderspoon but I might have the spelling wrong.  They’d probably work well for you since they always remind me of those gel packs for marathon runners, only more natural.