• January 30, 2020 at 12:54 pm

I’m finding it hard to stick to my diet this year because of depression.  I have times when I can exercise and eat right. but there are other times I just can’t get up to move and I just want to eat whatever takes the least time even if it means I’m eating a bunch of pretzels and string cheese for dinner. It’s getting frustrating and might be making me feel even worse since I can’t even keep up with basic stuff. What do I do? Is there a way around this?

• February 6, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I’d say do your best to eat well and exercise because it will help your depression, but you should also take your depression seriously and see if you can treat that to help you to really improve your health and quality of life. There are lots of things you can do to improve depression.  Have you talked to your doctor or a counselor or even called some kind of a help line to find out what services are available in your area?

• February 11, 2020 at 1:31 pm

The next time you grocery shop, try to come up with more healthy snacks. Even if it’s things like strawberries and a bit of dark chocolate you can dip them in. Try to get as many options as you can.  Then, you don’t need to overcome your depression to snack well.  Those are the options you have.  Also, take lots of care to focus on your depression.  Your healthy lifestyle will let your physical and mental health support each other.  At the same time, if you’re finding you can’t shake this, talk to your doctor.  Get help from a professional medical expert.  Depression isn’t just feeling down. It’s a condition just like diabetes or the flu. Feel better soon.

• February 17, 2020 at 1:13 pm

I don’t think your depression and your lifestyle are separate.  I’m not saying your lifestyle causes your depression. I’m really not. What I mean is that your depression makes it harder for you to live a healthy lifestyle, but the unhealthy part of your lifestyle also affects your depression symptoms. Take your first steps when you can.  Get support to help you to take the first steps.  You’re not on your own for this.