• February 20, 2020 at 2:56 pm

I’m looking for a new yoga mat bag. I currently have a Gaiam sling bag. It’s pretty much a big soft cotton sling bag that has enough room for you to jam a yoga mat into it. It has little ties to stop it from flopping around because it stands straight up. I love my bag but it’s really lived its life and I’m ready for a new one. I want one that will keep my mat dry if I walk through a bit of rain to get to class. I would also like a few small pockets for this and that. Any suggestions?

• February 25, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Get one big enough for your mat to slide in easy. Look for organic cotton or another environmentally respectable fabric so you’re not bringing negative energy into your yoga class. Remember that mats come in different thicknesses, so if you have a thick one, you might need  a roomier bag. Get one that isn’t open ended for the weather protection you were looking for.  Aim for a bag with extra pockets along it so you can slip in other things like your strap, tissues, socks or whatever else you want to bring or tuck away while you’re there.

• March 2, 2020 at 12:56 pm

If you just want the bag to hold your yoga mat and maybe a small item or two, you just need a tube-shaped bag with a shoulder strap.  Make sure the strap is adjustable so you can carry it on one shoulder or cross body.  If you want it to hold more stuff, get a sling bag with a yoga section that is covered. Don’t get the kind that looks like a gym/weekend bag that you tie the mat to the bottom.  You just end up getting your mat filthy.

• March 9, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Gaiam has a great sleek yoga mat bag with a cargo pocket.  It looks like the lululemon one but it’s a third of the price. It’s well made, fits well and it holds everything you need to bring, but doesn’t cost much. It comes in a lot of colors, too.