• September 21, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I have heard that yoga is very helpful for weight loss.  i’ve heard it in a lot of places.  But it’s neither cardio nor is it really strength training.  HOw is it that yoga can help bring the pounds down?

• September 28, 2017 at 11:39 pm

I agree that yoga is good for weight loss but I can see where you don’t think it makes a lot of sense.  The reason is that it’s not like other types of fitness.  Where it’s handy for dieters is that it helps with anxiety/stress/depression, it improves flexibility and it helps overall wellness.

• Mental health – when your stress levels are kept down, it makes it easier to lose weight because your cortisol levels are down.  It helps you sleep better, it helps your body not to put on more fat and it motivates you better.
    • Flexibility – when you can move around more freely and easily, your workouts aren’t as much of a struggle and you don’t put yourself at as much of a risk of injury.  This makes it more fun to work out and you don’t risk as much of a chance of having to sit out of your exercises because of being hurt and having to heal.
    • Overall wellness – the healthier you are and the better your body functions, the more efficiently you burn through all your calories.
  • October 3, 2017 at 11:51 pm

It works.  It gets your cortisol under control.  Cortisol causes weight gain.  If your cortisol levels are reduced, you don’t struggle as much with weight gain, making weight loss easier, right?

• October 9, 2017 at 11:17 pm

How do you know if your cortisol is under control?  Is there some way of measuring or something? Or do you just know because you’re not stressed out and gaining weight?

• October 16, 2017 at 11:24 pm

There isn’t any kind of home test or anything.  You can just tell because you will start to feel less stressed, like you have more energy, like you can sleep better and the weight will come off easier.  YOu’ll feel free of the main struggle, if that makes sense.

• October 19, 2017 at 11:27 pm

I agree, Helen1. I don’t think ther’ese any way to actually measure it.  It just makes a difference when you have it under control again.

• November 28, 2018 at 4:54 pm

I have been looking to do yoga for some time now and heard the same thing

• November 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I’ve been doing it for a while since I started this thread. I do think it makes a difference.  I feel more motivated to move around for one thing. Also, it’s weird but even when I’m just doing it once a week or so, I feel like I can do my other workouts way better.  I find I walk taller. I don’t ache and feel stiff as much.  It’s like my body is just ready to do other kinds of workouts a lot easier.  I’m very glad I’m doing it and I can definitely see how it’s helping with weight loss.

• December 6, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for checking in, Brightstar. It’s interesting that you feel like your other workouts are better.