There’s something nostalgic about fun lunch ideas we used to eat when we were little. Whether we ate at school or at home, those foods have a special place on our plates as adults. A square piece of pizza, tater tot casserole, or just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the lunches we had in cafeterias or that our parents sent with us can easily make us smile.
Nostalgic Fun Lunch Ideas Aren’t Exactly Nutrient Packed
When it all comes down to it, it’s unlikely that a meal made of tater tots is any better for us now than it was when we were kids. Still, we can let those meals inspire us to create fun lunch ideas that are as enjoyable to us now as those meals were for us then.
Nostalgic and fun lunch ideas don’t have to be bad for us. Just because they taste great and come in amusing shapes and textures, this doesn’t mean that they need to be made primarily of bad fats and refined carbs.
Fun Lunch Ideas You’ll Love to Bring to Work This Week
The following are some fun lunch ideas to help bring a smile to your lunch hour. They’re touched by nostalgia but packed with nutrition.
All-American School Lunchbox for Grown-Ups
- 2 celery sticks filled with 1 tsp peanut butter each and topped with 1 tsp of raisins
- 1 apple
- ½ whole wheat sandwich with deli turkey and ½ slice of cheddar
- 1 mini whole wheat bagel, topped with 2 slices of pepperoni, ½ slice part-skim mozzarella, and 1 tbsp marinara on each half
- 1 orange or apple
- Side salad topped by up to 60 calories of the dressing of your choosing
- 5 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup pinto beans
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Desired amount of diced green onion
Toss ingredients together and top with 100 calories of baked tortilla chips. Add desired amount of salsa.