Even fun sized Halloween candy can have a surprising number of calories, sugar, and fat in it, so a lot of people are opting to have a healthy Halloween by serving up treats that will delight taste buds without going to your hips.
What are some of the best healthy Halloween treats that won’t get your house TPed? Check out our list below to get started, but feel free to get creative so you can come up with your very own ideas that your friends, family, and trick-or-treaters will love.
Chewy Fruit Snacks to Start Your Healthy Halloween
Fruit chews are really popular with kids and adults, but they aren’t always all that good for you. Loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients like colors and flavors, these are not a good choice if you are aiming to hand out healthy Halloween candy. But, according to Huffpost, there are alternatives, such as Annie’s Organic Fruit Snacks and Fruit Tape. These pack just as much flavor, but they contain organic ingredients and natural ingredients that you can actually recognize when reading the label.
Mini Dark Chocolate Bars
A delectable piece of dark chocolate can satisfy anyone’s craving for this sweet treat, and it will be a better choice compared to milk chocolate. Dark chocolate boasts antioxidants, so miniature bars can be a good addition to your healthy Halloween strategy. Plus, you can find a variety of brands that produce dark chocolate without any dairy (great for your Halloween party guests of all dietary preferences). And, these chocolates often also feature other tasty ingredients like nuts, coconut, and dried fruit, so you can enjoy variety too.
Do Better Than M&M’s and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
Want to go a step in the healthier direction, but you really love M&M’s and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups? Then why not try a newer brand, known as Unreal? These candies taste just as good as M&M’s and Reese’s, but they contain natural, organic, gluten free, and non-GMO ingredients. This means there aren’t any artificial ingredients! Also, they even have a host of vegan offerings if you want to go with dairy-free options. And, for anyone who is allergic to peanuts or wants to try something other than peanut butter, this brand offers treats that use almond butter.
A Healthier Upgrade to Rice Krispies Treats
Do you know people who love Rice Krispies Treats, but you aren’t too happy with the ingredients? Then consider handing out MadeGood Crispy Squares instead, which come in a variety of flavors, like vanilla, caramel, chocolate, and strawberry. These are certified organic, vegan, non-GMO, nut free, and gluten free, so they should satisfy everyone who will be coming to your house on Halloween for some treats. And, they contain ingredients you’ll readily recognize, like crisp rice, sustainable palm fruit oil, vegetable glycerin, sea salt, cane sugar, and vegetable extracts.
Make Healthy Halloween Treats at Home
Hosting an All Hallows’ Eve get-together at your home? Then why not make your own healthy treats that your guests will love digging into? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Prepare healthy popcorn balls made using popcorn, toasted pumpkin seeds, and caramel.
- Make your own caramel chews so you can use the highest quality and most natural ingredients.
- Craft your own chocolate bark using simple ingredients like brown rice cereal, vanilla extract, cinnamon, chopped hazelnuts, and, of course, dark chocolate.
- Dip dried fruit into some dark chocolate. Great choices include dried apricot, dried mango, and dried papaya, but you can get as creative as you want with your favorite flavors.
- If you prefer fresh fruit instead of dried fruit, or you simply want a mix of both options for your guests, you can even dip clementines into some dark chocolate for a scrumptious treat.
- Dip pretzel sticks in a mixture of melted dark chocolate and peanut butter. Then set them up to look like little spiders to make a fun and creative presentation for your guests.
- Rather than serving up chocolate chip cookies, you always have the option of giving your guests sweet and tasty oatmeal raisin cookies instead.
Have a Happy and Healthy Halloween!
Halloween is so much fun, especially since you get to indulge in a variety of tasty treats that are hard to resist. But that doesn’t mean that you have to put your diet on the back burner. Instead, you can stick with your goal of either losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight, while satisfying your cravings for your favorite flavors.