It’s important to stay hydrated throughout the year, as it helps ensure your body will be able to function at its best. During the summertime, though, when the temperature rises, maintaining proper hydration should be a top priority. That’s because you tend to sweat more in the summer, which means your body loses more water.
What are the symptoms of dehydration? Well, even mild dehydration can lead to fatigue, lethargy, poor mental and physical performance, hunger, and a bad mood. You definitely don’t want to experience these symptoms during the summer when you want to be active and having fun, so summer hydration is key.
Bored by plain water? No problem! There are many other low-sugar and low-calorie options that you can enjoy throughout the day. To show you what we mean, we’ve compiled some handy summer hydration tips that you can use to quench your thirst, and to give your body the proper amount of water that it needs to thrive. Check them out below.
Summer Hydration: 3 Drinks That Can Replace Plain Water
1. Sparkling, Carbonated, Bubbly Water
A regular glass of water might be boring, but you can switch things up with some sparkling water. You can choose from a variety of brands, and you can even find fruit flavored options. A few examples include La Croix, San Pellegrino, and Perrier. Go ahead and add a slice of grapefruit, lemon, orange, lime, or cucumber, or add in some tasty berries like blueberries or raspberries for additional flavor. Even basil and mint leaves can make your drink more fun while you’re working on maintaining summer hydration.
Another way to maintain summer hydration is by drinking tea. This is really a perfect drink for summer when it’s iced, and you can choose from a variety of teas for different flavors. The bonus is that tea is loaded with antioxidants, and you can make it right at home by brewing fresh tea and then chilling it. Add in fresh herbs or lemon for flavor, whether you prefer black tea, white tea, green tea, or herbal tea. And, if you want a little extra sweetness, you can try stevia to keep it sugar-free.
Side note: Premade iced tea that is sold in a bottle or a can isn’t the best choice when it comes to healthy summer hydration. These are typically loaded with sugars and sweeteners.
3. Electrolyte Beverages
Finally, when it comes to hydration, another smart choice is an electrolyte drink. This type of beverage can quench your thirst, replenish electrolytes, and help you stay hydrated, so it provide a lot of benefits when you are sweating more than usual. Just be sure the drink doesn’t have any calories, and it also shouldn’t have a lot of sugar.
Other Summertime Hydration Tips
In addition to drinking plenty of water, there are other ways to maintain summer hydration. According to Frederick Health, there are several other steps that you can take to protect yourself from the harmful effects of the summer heat. Those steps include:
- Eating foods that provide moisture. These include veggies and fruits, such as watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, and citrus fruits. Combined with drinking healthy beverages, these foods can help you maintain proper levels of hydration surprisingly easily.
- When choosing beverages to enjoy with meals, snacks, or in between meals, make sure they are not packed with sugar. It’s also a good idea to avoid caffeine and alcohol. Choosing the wrong drinks might cause you to lose hydration, rather than maintain it.
- Keeping your body cool can also help with summertime hydration. It’s a good idea to wear clothing that is loose and lightweight, as well as light in color, so you can potentially sweat less.
- Avoid exercising during the hottest times of the day, stay in the shade, and take other steps to keep yourself cool and comfortable outside. That way, you can avoid overheating and becoming dehydrated.
See? With a few simple strategies you can maintain proper hydration with ease!