Are you hoping to lose weight fast? Well, you certainly aren’t alone! Whether they have a lot of weight to lose or just a few excess pounds to shed, people get really impatient with reaching their goal weight.
It’s no wonder that so many individuals put their bodies through hell as they work on slimming down. Unfortunately, the things that you do to lose weight fast might be doing way more harm than you realize, so it is best to take things slow and steady when it comes to getting lean and improving your health, whether you are a little overweight or you have been diagnosed as obese.
Below is a list of seven of the biggest mistakes that dieters make when they are trying to lose weight fast. If you have tried these tactics in the past, you might have realized that they backfired, so you should definitely avoid them in the future. On the other hand, if you have thought about trying the following strategies, it’s best to reconsider and take a better route.
1. Avoiding calories by skipping meals
If you have thought about cutting back on your calorie intake to lose weight, that’s great! You are actually on the right track. After all, if you are consuming too many calories throughout the day, and you are not active enough to be burning those calories off, they will be stored in your body and you will end up gaining fat and weight.
But, if you thought that cutting calories meant cutting entire meals out of your day, think again. The truth is that skipping entire meals during the day can actually backfire when you are trying to lose weight fast. Rather than skipping meals, it is better to change what you are eating at each meal in order to reduce your calorie intake and lose weight.
What exactly is wrong with skipping meals? Well, according to Piedmont Healthcare, several things happen when you skip a meal:
- Your blood sugar ends up decreasing. This ends up affecting the ability to think and focus clearly because your brain won’t have enough sugar to use. Your body, too, will end up functioning less optimally when there isn’t enough blood sugar to work with. You might notice that fatigue sets in, along with confusion and irritability.
- Another thing that happens when you skip meals in an effort to lose weight fast: the body produces cortisol, the stress hormone, at greater levels. This makes you feel even more irritable, as well as more stressed out. Over time, overexposure to stress hormones like cortisol may lead to a host of health problems and emotional problems ranging from anxiety to heart disease.
- Although you might be skipping meals to lose weight fast, you are actually doing far more harm than good because skipping meals will also adversely affect your metabolism, causing it to slow down. In turn, you end up losing less weight, and it becomes even harder to lose the extra weight that you’re carrying.
2. Taking the wrong diet pills to lose weight fast
There are a lot of different diet pills out there that claim they can help you lose weight fast, but not all of them will actually live up to their claims, and some can be harmful.
Whether you are thinking about taking a prescription diet pill or a weight management supplement that you can buy over the counter, consider the pros and cons of the pills before you start taking them. If you want to take a weight management supplement that can support your weight loss efforts, really take your time and do plenty of research before deciding which one you will take.
You might even want to talk to your doctor about the many diet pills that are available over the counter, and which ones are actually safe and effective. Once you find a product that you would like to try, be sure to take it according to the directions on the label.
A few ways to narrow down your choices when shopping for weight loss products:
- Choose a product that is manufactured in the United States
- Only purchase products that contain high-quality ingredients that have been clinically studied
- Avoid products that contain questionable ingredients or ingredients that have been banned
- Research the manufacturer to ensure they are reputable and trustworthy, and to be certain that the claims that they make are true
- Look through customer reviews to see if a product has indeed helped most people get in shape
3. Eating meal replacements
A meal replacement is not meant to be used all the time. It can be great to have a meal replacement in the form of a shake or bar when you are running late in the morning, or when you are on the go and you need to eat quickly. But this should not be a strategy that you use to lose weight fast.
Rather than skipping meals or using meal replacements, just focus on eating a portion-controlled, low-calorie diet that is packed with nutritious, natural foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans that will give you vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber, without the fat and without the high calorie count of other foods.
4. Following a fad diet to lose weight fast
Rather than following a fad diet, change the way that you eat for good by switching to healthier foods that you can enjoy daily without any guilt. For example, you can take the simple step of incorporating more plants, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, beans, nuts, and seeds into your daily diet. These are high in fiber, high in vitamins and minerals, and low in calories and fat, so they can give your body the energy that it needs to sustain a physically active lifestyle that will help you stay in shape and at the right weight.
5. Not keeping a food diary
The best way to track exactly what you are eating, and how many calories you are consuming, throughout the day is by keeping a food diary. If you are not keeping diary to track your food intake, you aren’t alone; a lot of people make this common mistake. However, you might find that, once you start keeping a food journal, you are better able to assess your progress and make changes to improve your ability to lose weight fast.
6. Exercising all wrong to lose weight fast
Sure, you need to exercise in order to lose weight fast, so if you are not following a fitness routine yet, it is definitely time to get started. That said, you have to find the right balance. Exercising too much can be just as bad as exercising too little.
Exercising excessively will stress your body, increase your risk of injuries, and, ultimately, be unsustainable. On the other hand, if you aren’t exercising enough, and you are limiting your calorie intake at the same time, you’ll end up losing too much muscle mass, and you definitely don’t want that!
7. Choosing foods labeled as “diet”
You might assume that a “diet” or “low-fat” food is going to help you lose weight fast, but these are usually really processed, and they probably have a lot of sugar in order to make up for a lack of flavor.
Plus, these foods don’t really fill you up and keep you satisfied for long, so you actually end up eating more than you should. Again, stick with eating whole food ingredients that are high in nutrients like fiber, yet low in calories. These will fill you up and keep you full and energized for longer.
There Are Safe Ways to Lose Weight Quickly
When you need to lose weight efficiently, the key is to keep in mind that losing weight too quickly is unhealthy. Instead, seek out methods that will give you energy, make you feel good, and give your body what it needs to slim down naturally. A healthy, low-calorie diet, a consistent exercise routine, and a positive shift in your lifestyle towards better habits will get you to your goal before you know it.