There are lots of alternatives to high sugar beverages out there, but that doesn’t mean that they actually taste good. Among those that do, you can pretty much count on a huge dose of calories to go with it. Fortunately, that’s not always the case. You just need to know what you’re looking for.
How to Choose Alternatives to High Sugar Beverages
One of the biggest mistakes we make when we think of finding alternatives to high sugar beverages is to swap out pop for juice, sports drinks or even energy drinks. These are mistakes on all three counts.
Choosing any of those as alternatives to high sugar beverages means that you’re actually just swapping one sugar-packed drink for another. Those drinks should all fall into the same category as sodas and should be avoided in the same way. Yes, this includes juice, even 100 percent pure fruit juice.
Why Focus on Reducing Your Daily Intake of Added Sugars
No matter the source of all that added sweetener, eating a lot of it on a regular basis can be very damaging to your health, including everything from your weight, blood glucose levels, cancer risk, and even mental wellness.
When we think about things like sugars, fats, and calories, we tend to ignore beverages. That said, just because it’s not solid, it doesn’t mean it can’t work in direct opposition to our goals. Even worse, when we have something to drink, it doesn’t contribute to a feeling of fullness or satiety, regardless of all the calories it contains.
Find Alternatives to High Sugar Beverages for Lower Health Risks
No matter whether your sugars come from juices, soda, sports drinks, energy drinks or even a gourmet coffee, they act the same way in the body. They raise your risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancers, and a huge list of other chronic mental and physical health issues.
At the same time, since drinks don’t provide any real satiety in terms of hunger – other than hydration reducing excess hunger resulting from dehydration – this makes drinks one of the easiest places to control calorie and sugar intake. Finding alternatives to high sugar beverages don’t leave you any hungrier than you would otherwise be.
Use These Alternatives to High Sugar Beverages
If you’re looking to reduce your intake of calories and added sugars, but don’t want to have to fall back on plain water, consider the following alternatives to high sugar beverages. They all contain 0 grams of sugar and 0 calories.
- Drink Vitamin Water Zero Orange (0 Calories, 0 g Sugar) instead of Simply Orange Juice (110 Calories, 23 g Sugar)
- Drink Coca Cola Zero (0 Calories, 0 g Sugar) instead of Coca-Cola (100 Calories, 26 g Sugar)
Iced & Bottled Tea
- Drink Gold Peak Diet Tea (0 Calories, 0 g Sugar) instead of Gold Peak Green Tea (90 Calories, 23 g Sugar)
- Drink Snapple Diet Green Tea (0 Calories, 0 g Sugar) instead of Snapple Sorta Sweet Straight Up Tea (40 Calories, 9 g Sugar)
Sports Drink Alternatives
- Swap Powerade Zero (0 Calories, 0 g Sugar) for Powerade Berry Blast-(53 Calories, 14 g Sugar)
- Diet-Friendly Alternatives to Boring Water
- Alternatives to High GI Foods
- Healthy Alternatives to Plain Oatmeal